Saturday, June 20, 2009

Weddings

What is the deal with people getting married? I get the entire wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone, okay not really but I get the concept in principal. What I don't get is the need people have to confirm their choice in multiple parties and gifts.

There is an engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, the wedding and not to mention the time commitment that all of those parties take up. And let's be honest unless you are my close family or friend I don't know how much time and or money I want to spend for these things.

In addition to this there is the entire fact that girls getting married want to surround themselves with friends. Friends that they might not have known before they were engaged. It's isn't that I don't want to be friends with people that are getting married I guess I just want to be less obvious that you kind of screwed yourself. You spent time getting to know this guy, and I get that you'll be married for a really long time you need to get to know them, but why should I now feel obligated to hang out with you?

I probably sound awful here. I know that but I am just wondering what these girls are thinking. We have only hung out in a group on occasion and now your bachelorette party will suck if I'm not there? Really? You didn't care about me that much before you wanted to make sure you didn't feel lame. And I go and bring a nice gift and make an effort because I don't think anyone should feel like a loser. I would want people there for me, so I get it I do. I just don't like all the fakeness of it all.

Here is the kicker though: For most of these people I will not be their friend after this. They will get married and live their married life and I will continue on in my single life, separately. It is like this long expensive, time consuming friendship that has an expiration date, the wedding date. Do we get to be friends again when I get married?

Am I the only one who notices this?

Side note: This is not always the case my close long term friends I expect to have a continued friendship with no matter their marital status.

1 comment:

Baconista said...

We will be friends 4 ever