Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Moral Ambiguity

It isn’t something I have ever really thought about. I was reading a book and the main character applied to an ad that one of traits they were looking for was someone with moral flexibility. He decided it would be sexier if he was, flexible.

It did phrase these questions, in regards to one’s morality: Would you kill anyone? Steal from old people? And for me the answers are: that is situational, and not if I can help it.

The idea really made me think though. I have never thought if I am a morally flexible person. Thinking about it though I came to the same conclusion as the character – it is definitely sexier. When you think of someone isn’t morally flexible the first thing that pops into mind is a buzz kill. It isn’t someone you want to invite your awesome party- that morally rigid person. How boring do they sound? Lets invite the person who is more flexible I bet he is fun!

He might steal you TV too!

No comments: